In San Fernando, [IMHO] I don’t know a decent place that sells delicious pizza at a reasonable price. However, I found an interesting recipe that did not have tomatoes in it, which was perfect for my maiden pizza experiment–not that I didn’t like tomatoes. I love tomatoes but I wanted to use the right kind on my pizza and at the moment I didn’t have any. So this is my version of a Chicken BBQ Pizza.
This pizza recipe is easy and ANYONE can make it. I would like to give credit to Ree Drummond’s BBQ Chicken Pizza. I used her basic pizza dough but added a heaping teaspoon of sugar to activate 1 1/2 tsp yeast (as I thought mine was already dead, since it was almost a year old in the ref). Those were the only ingredients that I altered, then proceeded to make her delicious dough.
I used hickory BBQ marinade or sauce but anything goes, you can even use Pinoy Adobo sauce to douse your chicken with. Found some dried herbs and threw in thyme (what’s chicken without thyme?) and ground pepper (I think).
Essentially, there are 3 steps:
- Make the pizza dough
- Bake marinated chicken breast fillets
- Assemble toppings and bake pizza til done
Chicken BBQ Pizza Recipe
Pizza Dough Ingredients:
Dough makes 2 thin pizza crusts
- 4 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1-1 1/2 tsps. active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 Cups water, heated to 110-115 deg F
- 1 tsp. sugar, heaping
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 Cup olive oil (plus 1 Tbsp. for coating)
- Activate yeast in 115 deg F water and sugar mixture. After about 5 mins, you should see the yeast mixture forming bubbles, otherwise, replace your yeast.
- Combine dry ingredients in a mixer with paddle attachment.
- Slowly pour olive oil until well-combined with flour.
- Pour in yeast mixture until just combined. Dough will be sticky, coat with olive oil. Let it sit for at least 1 hour in room temp, cover bowl with plastic wrap. The longer it sits, the better. You can even leave it overnight in the fridge. Divide into 2 balls and let sit for an hour or two before use if you decided to freeze it overnight.
Chicken BBQ Ingredients
- 3 large chicken breast fillets
- 1 Cup BBQ sauce of your choice (divided)
- 2 Tbsps. olive oil
- pinch of salt
- 200-250g mozzarella cheese
- 1 big red onion (optional)
- cayenne powder to taste
- ground pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 deg F.
- Salt both sides of each chicken breast and line them in an oven-safe dish.
- Massage chicken with herbs (thyme, cayenne, black pepper) and 1/2-2/3 Cup BBQ sauce. Bake at 350 deg F for 30-35 mins. or until done (no more bloody juices). Remove chicken from oven and set aside to cool.
- Increase oven temp to 500 deg F at this point. (Careful, it’s super hot!)
- Dice cooked chicken.
- Oil 15 x 10-in rectangular pan with olive oil and stretch one ball of dough to the sides of the pan. Use two balls if you want a thicker dough.
- Salt pizza dough and sprinkle with some herbs of your choice (I put everything, lots of cayenne) and arrange the pizza layers like you see them doing it on TV : remaining BBQ sauce, herbs, diced chicken bbq and mozzarella cheese slices and bake for 15-17 mins in the middle or lower rack if you want it crispier.
Enjoy! This pizza is really thin and will feed 4-5 hungry people.
My Mom said you can eat it without Tabasco, it’s already hot as it is!